A Chinese Banquet at Chop Chop in Edinburgh’s West End

After a few aborted attempts including turning up on a Monday (they were closed) and arriving to find one of our party was in their other restaurant in Leith (and they didn’t have a table free anyway) I was taking no chances this time and booked a table for two at Chop Chop on Morrison Street.

They have a huge and loyal following in Edinburgh, hugely boosted by an appearance on Ramsay’s Best Restaurants a couple of years ago, as well as a very active online presence, and have long been on my radar. Chop Chop is also a BYO restaurant and very close to my new office so it was the perfect place to catch up with AVM after work one evening last week.

inside Chop Chop

On arrival, we were warmly welcomed and shown to our table, although it turned out to be the wrong one, but we were moved before we’d had chance to get our feet under it, so no drama. Our wine was opened for us, and glasses & water brought.

We hadn’t been before (well not and actually eaten anyway) and the menu does recommend you read the front page however we had a lot to catch up on and the unlimited banquet for 2 people that caught my eye looked delicious and contained two different types of dumpling, for which they are especially well-known, so for ease we plumped for that. Job done!

Pork & Coriander dumplings

After choosing our banquet we chattered on and were brought soy sauce, rice vinegar and dishes containing garlic & chilli and told how to create our own dipping dipping sauces.

The banquet for 2 features pork & coriander boiled dumplings, pan-fried prawn dumplings, cucumber salad, aubergines with garlic, crispy northern beef, lamb with cumin seed and boiled rice and you can re-order more of any of these dishes as you desire. At £18.50 per head it all seemed very reasonable.

Fried prawn dumplings, lamb & cumin and cucumber salad

Fried prawn dumplings, lamb & cumin and cucumber salad

What can I say, it was tasty, REALLY tasty! The lamb was an utter triumph & we happily munched our way through another plate of it, as we did the fried prawn dumplings and the crispy northern beef! Oh yeah! During which time our bottle of wine seemed to have evaporated(!), thankfully they are licensed, with house wine coming in at a very decent £10.90 per bottle!

True to form I stuffed myself silly but AVM still found room for pudding, and went for the curious sounding peanut dumplings. When they arrived they were bite sized dessert dumplings dusted in icing sugar. They did look a little dry on their own so some ice cream was swiftly ordered, I had a wee try but was pretty much dumplinged-out by that point!

Dessert - peanut dumplings

To summarise, it was really good, I think the best Chinese food I’ve had in Edinburgh (& I’ve had a lot!) and I can’t wait to go back and try some more, I’ve been reliably informed that their lunchtime menu is pretty good too! The only negatives for me were the plastic plates and dipping bowls (it reminded me of outside dining in local fast food restaurants in Singapore), the tables are also packed in so when it’s busy, which is most of the time (it was full and turning people away on a Tuesday evening out-of-season) then discreet conversation is nigh on impossible and finally, a pet peeve of mine a 10% service charge was added to the bill!

TOP TIP: BOOKING IS PRETTY MUCH ESSENTIAL

Chop Chop, 248 Morrison Street, Edinburgh, EH3 8DT. 0131 221 1155

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

13 Responses to “A Chinese Banquet at Chop Chop in Edinburgh’s West End”

1. October 6, 2011 at 10:19 am #

Hurrah! You made it to Chop Chop! So happy you enjoyed your meal here. I love it! You should join their loyalty club – three times a year they will send you very good discounts on food. Well worth it 🙂 The banquet is amazing; excellent choice.

• October 6, 2011 at 10:37 am #

I did and you’re right, it was fab! I even made it there for lunch yesterday too and I have joined the loyalty scheme too :o)

2. October 6, 2011 at 10:21 am #

I have eaten at both restaurants and am a fan of both the excellent value lunch menu and the decadent all you can eat option of an evening. One thing I will say in favour of the Leith location is that the back room table that seats 6-8 makes for perfect semi-private dining for a more lively evening 😉

Best dumplings in Edinburgh.

• October 6, 2011 at 10:36 am #

I actually had the lunch there yesterday, it was good!
      Thanks for the tip re the Leith one

3. Sophie
    October 6, 2011 at 10:38 am #

Sounds yummy – I love Yum Cha!!!!

I have to disagree with your negative – any chance to imagine I am crammed into an outside fast food joint in Singapore is a winner in my book!

Loving your reviews, and will be visiting both Chop Chop and Pho House immediately!

• October 6, 2011 at 10:41 am #

ha ha, I see you’re point! :o) You’ll love them both Sophie! Let me know how you get on

4. October 6, 2011 at 11:11 am #

I keep thinking about taking my sister and my niece there for lunch. Would you reckon there would be enough room for a pram somewhere? Or is it not too baby friendly?

• October 6, 2011 at 11:14 am #

good question, the tables are pretty close, however if you buzz them & explain I’m sure they will make space, especially at lunch time if it’s not as busy. i was there for lunch yesterday and there were plenty of tables free

5. AVM
    October 6, 2011 at 6:05 pm #

Totally scrumptious!Good point re loyalty scheme. Another visit when I am a neighbour (work wise,) Nadine?

• October 6, 2011 at 9:10 pm #

Too right! I had lunch there yesterday & it was also very good! Hurry up with your office move! :0)

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Where I’ve been pigging out recently (part 2) | Eating My Way Around Edinburgh - December 21, 2011

[…] adventures! Normal business to resume in the near future. (well apart from our Xmas party in Chop-Chop and a return visit to The Mulroy for lunch today that is! Share […]

2. yummyTori – a new (& aptly named) Japanese restaurant on Lothian Road | Eating My Way Around Edinburgh - June 19, 2012

[…] no doubt that all the Yardies will be returning in the very near future! and I’m afraid that Chop Chop now has some competition for their dumplings. Judging by the number of local workers waiting for […]